Welcome to Team WNY MMA! We could not be more excited to have you in our community and be able to help you achieve your goals. This page has lots of resources to help you get started. And remember, we're here to help every step of the way - so don't ever hesitate to reach out!
Your First Class
There are so many great places to start for your first class. We recommend trying a fundamentals or level 1 class for starters. If you're feeling adventurous, or have some previous experience, you can also jump into an All Level class. If you're ever uncertain whether a class is right for you, just ask us!
Equipment for Class
You're responsible for purchasing your own equipment for class but, never fear, there isn't much that you need to buy. For striking classes, you'll want 16oz. boxing gloves and 180" hand wraps. If you're doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, you'll want a gi of any color and a white belt. We recommend buying your gi with a little room to spare and then washing first in cold water and drying in 10 minute increments to make sure it doesn't shrink too much.
All of the equipment that you need is available at the gym. You are never required to purchase from us! However, you do get a 10% discount off your first purchase.
Building a Successful Plan: Schedule, Routine, and Nutrition
Now that you're a member, we want to help you achieve the goals that made you want to join! Everyone needs their own custom program, but there are some similarities across the board.
First, is building a schedule. Your welcome packet has paper copies and we also have the schedule in printable and mobile friendly versions on the website. Start by picking out which classes seem interesting to you. During your first session, your coach went over some good class options for you and we are ALWAYS available to help customize and update your schedule.
Routine is key. Start building consistency. Prep your gym bag. Let someone know you're going to class. And know that we'll miss you if you don't come in! Building your gym routine into your daily routine will help you be successful. Need help with this? Hit a road bump? We're here for you.
Nutrition. Period. You know how important it is to eat right. That's why we have a partnership with Eat Rite, the premier meal prep company that provides the meals for all of Western New York's top athletes, including the Bills, Sabres, and WNY MMA fight team. All of our members get 10% discounts of pre-orders with code "WNYMMA." Prepping your own meals? We can also help you with advice on where to start.
The key to success? Know you're not alone. When you join Team WNY MMA, you have our whole team here to help you.
Fun Things You Should Know
- During the summer, we host a big gym picnic and the whole family is welcome!
- During the winter, we host a holiday party. The gym pays for dinner and open bar AND we give away a ton of prizes, including $1,000 in cash!
- We love going out as a gym community to cheer on our local fighters! You can get tickets from the fighters and we can help arrange carpools.
- There are Facebook Messenger threads for grappling, striking, fight team, and kids classes to help us organize trips, training, and more. If you're on messenger, let us know and we'll add you to the threads.
- Throughout the year, we do different fund raisers and community events. You''re always welcome to participate.
- News updates go out in our weekly newsletter (along with Kate's MMA Joke of the Week), on the white board in North Buffalo, on Facebook, and on our messenger threads. We'll keep you up to date with all the gym news!
- Free cash to the Pro Shop plus more chances to win the $1,000 cash prize! Every time you refer a friend, you'll get cash to the pro shop plus 5 more chances to win the $1,000 cash prize. No limit to how many time you can refer people.
How to Tie Your Belt
Kate's favorite knot: the super knot.
Need help with this? Just ask Kate.
How to tie your belt.
Little Nyal shows two of his favorite knots.
Try this drill to help hone your skills!
Write down what combinations and techniques you cover in class so you know what to practice during open gym hours.