Live Online Class Schedule
Wellness Wednesday: Movement Moment
Good day to our beautiful community of WNYMMA! Aren’t we just the luckiest to be a part of such an amazing fitness fam? I sure feel super grateful for it!
So in today’s topic… mind body movement. It’s a term gaining popularity in the fitness world and otherwise 🙂
What is Mind Body Movement?
Mind body movement (or mind body exercise) is physical activity encompassing movement, mental focus and controlled breathing with the intention of improving strength, balance, flexibility and general health.
Examples of these practices are Yoga, Pilates, Tai Chi, TRE, physiotherapy etc etc etc 🙂
The reason they have gained so much attention in recent years are because of the benefits. It is amazing how mind body movement feels. And who doesn’t want to feel good? I am a believer in sharing with others what we find to be beneficial for ourselves.
What are the benefits?
Partaking in such practices have been proven to:
- Reduce blood pressure
- Lower levels of the cortisol (stress hormone)
- Increase dopamine levels (feel good chemical) which improves overall mood and feelings of well being
- Since there is less impact, these exercises are gentler on the joints and muscles
- Rehabilitate injuries
- Prevent injuries
- Connecting deeply to our breath allows us for us to be more present in the moment and less scatter brained
- Moving slower with intention grants us more focus on our form as well as holding proper posture during the exercises
- Become more in tuned with your body’s sensations and where imbalances may reside
- Focusing on feeling and deep breathing allows a more peaceful response to life’s pressures in general
“Mind-body exercise is about creating wellness,” says Shirley Archer, author of Pilates Fusion: Well-Being for Body, Mind and Spirit “It’s about cultivating your health by restoring balance. You start to uncover your body’s own wisdom.”
Mindfully moving allows one to become more aware of their body and becoming more aware of our bodies helps us navigate life. The awareness of breath helps us stay even and calm during situations outside of our fitness routines. Body awareness aids us in becoming more aware of — and enjoy — the times we feel good 🙂
How can I incorporate mindful movement into my life?
Luckily WNYMMA Great Arrow now offers 5 weekly mind body movement classes taught by none other than yours truly!
Monday: Pilates for MMA at 5:45 – 6:30 pm.
Wednesday: Pilates for MMA at 5:45-6:30 pm. Yoga at 7:15-8:00 pm.
Saturday: Yoga at 9:30-10:15 am.
Sunday: Pilates for MMA at 11:00-12:00 pm.
And if you may be too busy to make it down to the gym for one of these classes, below is a video on mind body movement for the busy professional 🙂
Let’s all make an effort to incorporate some mind body movement into our lives!
It can only benefit us 🙂
Til next week, dear ones- May the force be with you and all that you do!
Life Coach and Pilates Instructor
- Next Page »